George L. Washington, 1925
George Leward Washington '25, SM '30 earned his Bachelors (1925) and Masters (1930), both in Mechanical Engineering (Course II).
George Leward Washington was educated by the Rotary Club of Boston, which was attracted by his scholastic record while he was attending Rindge Technical School, where he was awarded the Albert L. Ware Memorial Prize. Mr. Washington is the first Negro to be educated by this Club.
A native of Norfolk, Virginia, Washington held various university positions and became North Carolina's first black registered engineer. Before World War II, he helped establish an Air Force training program for black pilots at Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. Washington later worked as the director of special services for the United Negro College Fund.